Dec 19, 2006

Weekly Recipe: Oat Cream Scones

I missed a couple weeks of recipes and we made these today, so you get two recipes this week. If you've ever made homemade biscuits, these are even easier.

1 2/3 c. flour (I use half spelt, half Golden 86 whole grain, but any will work)
1/3 c. rolled oats
1/4 c. healthy sugar (Sucanat) (or brown sugar)
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 c. cold butter
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. blueberries, dried fruits, cranberries, diced apples, raisins, etc. (optional)

Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in butter. Add cream and mix until just barely blended. (This will be a very wet texture.) Gently fold in fruit. Pat into 9" circle on baking stone or sheet and score into 8 wedges. Bake at 425 deg. for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned and top bounces back when touched. Score again. (I double this and can fit two large scones on one sheet.) These are rich enough that you don't need any butter, but you may want butter, jam, lemon curd or whipped cream on them for a special treat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, these are yummy. I leave out the fruit, and sometimes I add chunks of cream cheese before I bake them. You have my mouth watering. I think I need to make some. :-)